It’s an innovative technique developed by Mary Elizabeth Lynch, a co-founder and the primary course leader for The Personal Transformation and Courage Institute. Mary Elizabeth, along with Wendy Rains from the PTCI staff, will be the instructors for the training program.
Through this certificate program you will develop a solid foundation in somatic theories and practices. You will learn how to guide your clients toward a connection with their innate somatic intelligence and unlock their inner wisdom. This is a remarkable, highly-practical sensitivity that you can awaken in yourself and help others to discover, too. It’s a deep and profound way of knowing, ready to be accessed and used in making life-affirming decisions and commitments. In a sense the wisdom of the body is always “calling” to us – asking to be noticed, appreciated, and included in the way we make decisions and direct our lives.
The emphasis in this training program is to add a dimension to the ways in which you are already engaging your clients to help them come to know and purposely use their strengths and core values. On the one hand, leading your client through an analytical assessment of their strengths and talents is one way to help them identify key abilities. A complementary approach is equally important – to tap the wisdom of the body and the intelligence of emotion and feeling to see deeply into the person’s life and aspirations. Through this training program you will learn how somatic intelligence perceives the inter-related and linked energies that make a person unique. You will learn how to coach and guide someone through a process of discovering a constellation of core values and strengths – a sense of one’s authentic self that expresses in a grounded and embodied way.
The sessions of the training program will be held in Vienna, Virginia (in the suburbs of Washington, D.C.). You will be learning with a small group of other people who share your interest in expanding the tools and methods that allow them to coach, mentor, and guide others.
Over the course of the training program, you will:
- Learn simple and effective mindfulness techniques that focus attention on the intelligence of the physical body,
- Explore the art and science of somatic intelligence,
- Perceive the deeper meaning of body energies and sensations,
- Engage in Energy Constellation work – a somatic intelligence methodology,
- Develop professional skills as a somatic practitioner in a safe, supportive and collegial cohort environment,
- Receive supervised practice in guiding others in an Energy Constellation for seeing their strengths and values in a holistic way.
Each of the three sessions is a Module in the program; and each Module has a similar format. The first two days are largely an exploration of core concepts and experiential exercises to deepen your understanding of somatic intelligence, body wisdom, and the nature of our authentic selves. The third day of each Module will be devoted to practicing the skills required to successfully lead the exercises and speak with authority about the concepts.
Those who successfully finish all three sessions will be awarded a certificate of completion. As a further and optional step, you can choose to complete a supervised practicum program in the following months, which can lead to becoming a certified Energy Constellation practitioner. Certified practitioners will be included on PTCI’s web site. Further details about the practicum and certification designation are listed below.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR THE COHORT CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
Module One: Laying the Groundwork for Somatic Intelligence
In Module One, you will learn:
- Theories about somatic intelligence and experiential exercises taken from ancient wisdom traditions and recent findings from neuroscience.
- How to use your body’s innate intelligence to connect with the values that inspire and motivate you – what we call your Personal Ideal.
- How to articulate a Personal Ideal — including its role, importance and the inherent advantages of bringing it to bear in all life situations.
In Module One, you will practice:
- How to create an open and encouraging environment in which your clients feel safe to engage in a deeply personal experience of themselves.
- How to integrate traditional approaches to finding strengths (e.g., the Values in Action Inventory – the VIA) with PTCI’s somatic intelligence methods.
- How to guide your clients in more clearly identifying and connecting with their innate values and wisdom.
Module Two: Facilitating an Ideals Constellation
In Module Two, you will learn:
- The theory behind the three-dimensional model of an Ideals Constellation.
- The three positions in an Ideals Constellation: what they are and how they inform and support each other.
- The procedures for facilitating an Ideals Constellation.
- How you, as a facilitator, listen to the call of somatic intelligence to intuitively experience the “knowing field” that is created during a constellation exercise.
In Module Two, you will practice:
- Giving a short talk on the process of Inquiry and the benefits of knowing and living life through your Personal Ideal.
- Leading a client to an initial understanding of their Personal Ideal.
- Facilitating the first stages in the process of setting up a basic Ideals Constellation.
Module Three: It’s Personal: Knowing Yourself More Deeply through Somatic Intelligence
In Module Three, you will learn:
- How your Personal Ideal creates your own unique facilitation style.
- Mindfulness techniques that will guide you in applying your Personal Ideal to a variety of inner and outer situations that arise in the role of an Energy Constellation facilitator.
In Module Three, you will practice:
- The array of talks, explanations and exercises involved in preparing a client for an Ideals Constellation experience.
- Facilitating an entire Ideals Constellation exercise.
General Information about the Certificate Program
Awakening to the Call of Somatic Intelligence
Dates and times:
Module 1: September 7-9, 2018
Module 2: October 12-14, 2018
Module 3: November 16-18, 2018
( 9:30 to 5:30 each day)
Tuition: $1,950 (total for all three Module sessions)
Optional Add-on Learning:
Becoming a Certified Energy Constellation Practitioner™
Upon completion of the certificate in somatic intelligence through the three sessions of the cohort training program, you have the opportunity to enroll in a mentored process of continued learning and skills-development. A supervised practicum can be completed over the period of up to one year (at one’s own pacing) and will involve:
- An initial private two-and-a-half-hour session with a course leader during which time you will facilitate an Ideals Constellation with a volunteer client. The last hour of this session will be you and the course leader conducting a debriefing of how the Constellation exercise unfolded.
- 5 practicum sessions with volunteer clients who you identify. After each practicum session, you will be required to write a case report for that session. In addition, your volunteer client will be asked to answer a follow-up questionnaire. All of these materials will be submitted to a course leader for review and feedback to you.
- An hour to an hour-and-a-half follow-up session with a course leader to debrief the five practicum sessions and receive feedback.
- Another 5 practicum sessions with 5 new volunteer clients whom you identify. You will follow the same feedback format as described above.
- An hour to an hour-and-a-half follow-up debriefing session with a course leader.
Additional mentoring is available upon request, or as may be required by the course leader to be certified. Course leaders reserve the right to require additional practicum sessions and/or to withhold certification if further practice and/or knowledge base is needed to meet certification requirements.
Certified Energy Constellation Practitioners™ will be featured on the PTCI web site, including information on how you can be contacted and engaged for sessions. Certification is for a renewable two-year period, with a continuing education course from PTCI required every two years to deepen one’s skills and review actual practices from the previous two years.